Scheduling For Next Year
- Please read directions carefully.
- Course request instructions and tutorial are included below. Course requests begin 6:00 PM on Wednesday, 5/23 and close 9:00 PM on Wednesday, 6/6.
- IMPORTANT – Related Arts courses are DIFFERENT from PGC Enrichment courses.
FOLLOW THESE STEPS FORM MAKING REQUESTS.
- View RELATED ARTS (Electives) Catalog – Related Arts Course Descriptions 2018-2019 (To Review other programs at GBMS – (https://www.gbtps.org/green-brook-middle-school/gbms-programs/)
- Make Related Arts requests – Students MUST LOGIN into OnCourse using their credentials. Parents will not be able to access the COURSE REQUEST Tab with their account.
***ENRICHMENT – Catalog and instruction are BELOW after the Related Arts Course Request Instructions and Tutorial.
RELATED ARTS REQUESTS
Incoming 6th Graders (Current 5th Graders): Related Arts Course Registration/Request
Registration for 6th grade is simple.
- World Language and Physical Education (PE) are full year courses that meet every other day.
- Art and Global Studies are semester courses that all 6th graders take.
- 6th graders can choose two (2) year-long courses – Band, Chorus, Orchestra, Performing Arts, and Introduction to Computer Programming. Band and Orchestra have additional rehearsal times – Mornings and during Personal Growth Cycle (PGC).
Incoming 7th & 8th Graders (Current 6th & 7th Graders): Related Arts Course Registration/Request
Over a two year span, 7th and 8th graders have an opportunity to select a variety of Related Arts (Electives) experiences. Please refer to the Related Arts Catalog for course descriptions.
- World Language and Physical Education – all students are scheduled
- Students can only register for a TOTAL of ONLY FOUR (4) CREDITS. All courses are one credit except for the following: Global Citizenship, Global Leadership, Band, Orchestra, and Chorus are two (2) credits. One (1) CREDIT courses are semester courses that meet every other day. Two (2) CREDIT courses are full year courses that meet every other day.
- Students attempting to register for two (2) full year courses should see Dr. Bigsby.
Incoming 8th graders (current 7th graders) cannot repeat courses except for the following:
- 2-D Art and 3-D Art – the projects are rotated every year
- Band, Orchestra, and Chorus – Performance courses
NEW NEXT YEAR – Peer Leadership classes. After selection, students will be scheduled for both semester courses. Scheduling meeting will occur with Dr. Bigsby.
- Communication Skills and Organizational Structures
- Leadership Characteristics, Styles, and Practices
Related Arts Course Request Instructions and Tutorial
PGC ENRICHMENT REQUESTS
In addition to the robust Related Arts offerings at GBMS, we have expanded our Enrichment Course offerings.
To clarify the difference between Related Arts and Enrichment – Related Arts are scheduled courses with BOE approved curriculum. Enrichment courses are courses that teachers create and plan based on their interests and passions.
Related Arts courses meet every other day and for the same amount of minutes (52 minutes) as Core Courses. Enrichment Courses meet 40 minutes:
- 5th/6th Grades – Tuesday and Thursdays
- 7th/8th Grades – Monday, Wednesday, Fridays
Enrichment Courses are offered in four (4) sessions – each Marking Period. This will allow students more choice from an expanded catalog. The catalog is divided into two sections – 5th/6th graders and 7th/8th graders.
NOTE: When reviewing the catalog, please pay close attention to grade levels. All courses may run all four (4) Marking Periods unless indicated otherwise.
Students may not get the courses they request for the following reasons: (1) course canceled due to low enrollment; (2) conflict with other requests; (3) course is closed (priority given to upper grades); (4) DID NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.
This year, students will select courses for the FIRST semester (SECOND semester selections will take place in December). Students will be required to select 6 courses (First 2 choices and 4 BACKUP choices). Course requests are NOT “First Come, First Serve” SO there is NO RUSH. However, there is a deadline to registration so that the scheduling process can begin.
REGISTRATION OPENS WEDNESDAY, MAY 23 AT 6:00 PM. REGISTRATION CLOSES ON Wednesday, June 3RD AT 9:00 PM.
Students who miss the window can make their choices at the BEGINNING OF THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR. Changes to requests will also be addressed at the BEGINNING OF THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR.
Enrichment Catalog – Enrichment Course Catalog 2018-2019
Please decide on choices before going to the registration page. Choose carefully. All registrations are recorded accurately.
DO NOT DUPLICATE YOUR CHOICES.
NOT all courses are available each Marking Period. Some courses require participation for more than one Marking Period.
IMPORTANT – Students can edit their responses after submitting. If a registration is submitted again, ONLY the most recent submission will be considered.
Follow instructions or your registration will be impacted.